And then he exclaims, “Here I one of your favorite romances. I will read, and you shall listen; - and so we will pass away this terrible night together,” (105). Amidst all the terror surrounding them, they decide to read a romance novel? Although understandably it makes sense to read something that might put one in a better mood, does this type of novel really mimic the coincidences that occur afterwards?
In other words, as Poe continues to describe the scenarios in this novel, it doesn’t appear to be a book with a happy ending, or a book that would lighten a mood. Why then not have the book only lying around be a scary book? If the book was intended to lighten the mood, then the book chosen does this injustice, and a happier novel should replace it.
About Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The work in question does not really exist. Poe apparently made up The Mad Trist.
ReplyDeleteIt is an odd moment in a very disturbing situation. Perhaps Poe just used his invented book to let the events in it correspond to Madeline's escape from the family crypt.
And it's very like Poe to NOT lighten the mood. I recall being asked to read a poem of his--any I wanted--for a wedding in the Poe Museum's garden.
It took me hours to find one that ended happily. Poe lived a tormented life, often one of his own making.